A quick missive from the Land of La La, where I’ve come to live for a short while, having just gone on a year-long sabbatical from my ‘day-job’ in Advertising. Hurrah. Feeling very lucky! I’ll keep the smug-posts to an absolute minimum but this is just to say that in my first week I’ve ticked off a number of important Californian Cliches:
- Making friends with a plastic surgeon in a coffee shop
- Being told we have ‘cute accents’ about 457 times
- Going on a midnight drive to find the Hollywood sign, and not being able to find it – instead, getting into jetlag-fuelled delerium in our attempts to pronounce Griffith Observatory without laughing. Just try and say it without sounding like you have a speech-impediment. It’s nigh-on-impossible. But maybe it’s the jetlag.
- Going for a jog around the canals followed by an EXTREMELY green juice.
- Yoga on the beach daily
- Falling over while in Eagle pose, daily. Yoga on soft sand is very hard.
- Being offered the chance to look at a turtle with two heads. Politely declining said offer.
- Making lots of new friends because you can’t not, when everyone is this friendly.
- Meeting two drunk men in a bar having a homo-erotic fumble – one who turns out to be an actor from Sex and the City.
- Making friends with our Lyft driver who turns out to be an AMAZING musician called Slark. His latest track – of course – is called ‘Break Up’ which he wrote about his recent conscious uncoupling. It’s going in the BUC soundtrack as soon as it’s on Spotify!
- Realising Netflix is so, so much better here. They have The Wonder Years! Which was pretty much the defining show of mine and my roomie’s childhood. So now we watch an episode a day, and I have so far cried at Every Single One. Kevin&Winnie4Eva.
That’s all really. Except that, my book comes out on Thursday, so I might say a few words then! ‘Til then, here’s some wise words from a wall in Venice Beach – good to remember in a break-up, but also in life. Have a really, really really nice day y’all.